Thursday, February 9, 2012

Craving Corndogs? (Oh yeah...and fruit.)

So it has been awhile since my last post, but I suppose it has been for good reason.  Every night this week has been consumed by conversation with good people.  I was lucky enough to find time to speak with my sister, as well as each one of my best friends this week.  I didn't plan it that way, but it just happened. And it was good.  I set aside my "to do " list each and every night and made time for the ones I love. I often feel like I don't get to chat with my close friends enough since we are literally spread out across this great country.  Sometimes I get down thinking about how I miss them all so much and how we don't speak enough. However, I find it interesting that when you "preoccupy" yourself with other positive influences in your life- hobbies, blogs, working out, reaching out to meet new people, reading a good book- it seems the happiness and positivity comes back to you ten-fold. And the phone starts ringing off the hook. So that is why I have put off writing this blog post for several days now, and for good reason!

So in other news, my weight loss has inevitably slowed down, as I predicted it would. But I am happy to report that I have lost another three pounds- bringing the total to 14!  I am not sure all the recipes I am about to write about helped in that endeavor, but at least they were tasty!

Flashback to Mrs. Chubb's junior year English class. Let me supply you with an analogy:  Football is to Leslie, as oil is to water.  So when Superbowl Sunday rolled around, I was more than happy to stay at home, prep for the week, and cook some yummy goodness, all while the hubby was off paying cards with the boys. I prepared my own Superbowl treats even though I attended no parties.  My day consisted of making the following: banana pancakes (which were immediately consumed), Buffalo Chicken roll-ups, Berry Yogurt parfaits, and Mini Corndog Muffins. Yes, you read that last part right...

The banana pancakes were a recipe straight off of Pinterest so I will not repost here.  They were good, but not brilliant.  In this post, I will introduce you to the wonderful Mini Corndog, as well as yogurt parfaits. Check out my next post (coming soon!) on the Buffalo Chicken Wraps.  They deserve a post all their own.

The Mini Corndog Muffins were to die for.  Lately we have been craving corndogs, but I was not about to go out and buy them. Somehow it is more socially acceptable to make them, right?  Then I saw this delicious recipe on a great blog I have been following- Iowa Girl Eats.



You basically make mini corn muffins and stuff a bit of hot dog in each one- and there you have it- delicious party food! I made a few changes which I will describe here, but I plan to stick to her recipe next time. I used an instant cornbread recipe, which I think worked fine. Of course homemade cornbread is always better.  However, if you are short on time and resources, this is one possibility.




One good change I made was that I substituted buttermilk for the milk. Another thing I tried (It seemed like a good idea at the time.) was that I added a can of corn to the batch.  This made the corn muffins very soft and crumbly- too moist.  If I left the added corn out, they would have been perfecto! And of course I dip them in mustard- never ketchup.  That is a must. Definitely try it out!


I also prepared Berry Yogurt parfaits for the week.  These made simple breakfasts on the go, and it was a nice change from my bi-daily yogurt smoothie. I simply bought blueberries and strawberries at the store. I also bought red raspberries, but they were moldy- poo. I chopped them up and layered them on top of some low-fat vanilla yogurt in several small containers.  I also bagged up some granola (Yum!  I LOVE granola.) in a few separate bags.  When I am ready to eat, I simply add the granola and mix the whole thing together for a delicious, sweet breakfast.

What are your favorite game day snacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment