Today I can smell the savory aroma of a lesser-known winter favorite- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup. Last night, I chopped up a bag of carrots and an onion and threw them in a container in the fridge. I bought beef chuck that was on sale, and it was already cubed so that was one less worry. The rest was cake. Or should I say beef?
I threw the following ingredients in my crockpot this morning:
- 2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion- chopped (Prepared the night before)
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic (I used the stuff out of a jar.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (I simply chopped up a bag of those mini carrots.)
- 1 cup of uncooked pearl barley
- 1 small bag of frozen peas
- 1small bag of frozen green beans
- 1 can of corn (You could also use frozen. This is just what I had at home.)
- 2 cartons of (32 ounces) beef flavored broth.
Set the crockpot to low and then cook 6-8 hours. Dinner is ready to go, and I will enjoy some soup for lunch over the next couple of days as well! Now I just have to wait until I get home from Yoga to actually enjoy it....