Monday, January 30, 2012

It's all Greek to Me...

This recipe is something easy and yummy I whipped up tonight.  The truth is that I meant to prepare it yesterday, but I just ran out of time. Imagine that.  Luckily, this did not take me long.  After a comment left on one of my prior posts, The Bag Lady, about prepping and packaging breakfasts and lunch, my sister Julie was kind enough to leave a comment with another tasty suggestion: red pepper hummus and pita chips.  Thanks, Julie! I love when people leave comments so I can get your feedback, but even better when you leave suggestions with great snack and recipe ideas we can all share.

Anyway.. got to get back to the Greek.  I love Greek food.  Actually, I just love a simple Greek salad and some sort of tasty bread drenched in olive oil and garlic to go on the side.  Or maybe I like salad with my bread.  Yes, the latter is much more likely.  Well, in an effort to stay healthier, I chose to take my sister's pita chip suggestion. I am not really into hummus (I have textures issues I need to deal with. The truth is I had planned on buying it, but then chickened out while at the store.)  Instead, I decided to go for the fresh veggie route. As an alternative to a salad, I simply concocted my own "Americanized" mixture of vegetables that sounded tasty to me and it had a "Greek" twist.

I chopped up 2 fresh cucumbers, 3 roma tomatoes, 1 red onion, and drained and rinsed 1 can of black olives.  Kalamata would have been delightful, but I am trying to save money and this is what I had in the pantry. I mixed them altogether in a large bowl.



Next, I divided the large salad up into smaller plastic and glass containers that fit easily into my lunch bag.  I then poured 2 Tablespoons of some leftover lowfat Greek dressing over each one and then sprinkled some Romano cheese on top.  This is where I would easily substituted feta of I had it, but again this was on sale and sounded good at the time. Then landed a spot in my fridge.


Now for the pitas.  This took me less than 5 minutes to prepare and then only 13 to cook!  Simply set your oven to 375 degrees. I used whole wheat pitas and sliced them into 6-8 pieces each.  I then mixed 4 tablespoons of olive oil with some garlic salt, and freshly ground salt and pepper.  I placed all of the pita triangles on a cookie sheet and brushed them with the olive oil mixture.





Bake for 12-15 minutes.  I put mine in for 13:30 and they were a little but more brown than I would have liked.



Next I placed them in individual bags and they are ready to go.  These will make a great compliment to my Greek veggies!  Now I have lunch for several days this week prepared and ready to go. Simple, yet yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment