Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mini Egg Frittatas

So I think it is due time for a recipe.  I came across these on Pinterest awhile back and gave them a try.  Hubby seems to like them, as they are steadily disappearing from my freezer. I usually make them on the weekend and then freeze individually. It is a great way to get a protein-rich breakfast on the go.  I have made a couple different varieties and you can pretty much fill them with whatever veggies, meats, and cheeses you desire! 





*Makes approximately 12-16 Mini Frittatas


Ingredients: 
8 eggs
1/2 cup of skim milk
teaspoon salt
(I used dashes of pepper and garlic salt too.)
1 cup shredded cheese (You pick what kind!) 
Assorted mix-ins such as chopped veggies or meats


The first time I made these I simply used what I had in the fridge: leftover sliced cold-cut ham, chopped broccoli florets, sliced carrots, chopped onions, and shredded Swiss cheese.  


The second time I made them I used shredded pepper jack cheese, chopped onions, chopped green pepper, 1 small can of diced green chilies, and 1 can of Rotel tomatoes.  (This batch turned out much more moist and then resulted in "wetter" eggs when defrosted.) 


 Heat your oven to 350º F. 


Chop any veggies or meat that you plan to add to your frittatas. I chose to sautee the vegetables lightly, however you could add them fresh.  It is your choice. 


Either coat a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray, or I would recommend using the metal muffin-cup liners, as the frittatas would be much easier to remove.  *However, this means you would have to remove the metal liner before reheating in the microwave when ready to eat. 


Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and any other desired seasonings in a medium bowl, then evenly distribute the egg mixture among the muffin cups.


Add about 2 tablespoons of mix-ins to each cup.  Then add cheese to each cup.


Bake the frittatas until they are puffy and the edges are golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. (If necessary, run a butter knife around the edge of each one to loosen them before removing them from the pan.)


I then allow them to cool. I must add that the frittatas do "deflate" slightly after taking them out of the oven so they end up being much smaller servings than you think.  I have found that two makes an ample breakfast for one.  If you can find one of those pans that make the giant cupcakes this might work beautifully for the perfect-sized frittata. 


After cooling, place frittatas one-by-one in a sandwich bag.  I stash them in the freezer.  To reheat, I simply remove the metal liner if necessary, place it in a bowl, and microwave anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes.  I then like to mush mine up with a fork!

No comments:

Post a Comment