Friday, March 15, 2013

Showered with Love

So last weekend I drove back to Ohio for my first baby shower.  At 21 weeks, it was a bit earlier than usual, but the hope was that I wouldn't be driving 8 hours one way much longer in my pregnancy (which means I eventually have to drive 8 hours back...), plus it was my spring break so I did not have to hurry to Ohio and back in two days time.  Both of my sisters along with my mom hosted the shower, and it was wonderful!
Auntie Julie and Jill!
The shower was attended by family and friends from Ohio. 

Centerpieces- Baby's breath with sliced lemons
The theme they chose was children's literature.  Not only did everyone bring a book with their gift, but the treats even corresponded to different children's books!  It was very creative! A friend, Kristen, commented that this was "The coolest baby shower she had ever been to", and I think I would have to agree, but I may be somewhat biased.





We had a lovely brunch.  We could order one item off of the menu. I had the frittata and orange juice (big surprise), but several others enjoyed a bloody Mary or a mimosa.
Menus created by my awesome brother-in-law,  Brian Dipert. 
Two of my childhood friends were able to attend.  Lisa is also expecting and due a few weeks before me.
Lisa, me, and Colleen 
We played a couple games- one where we had to estimate the cost of raising a child for the first year.  As a tie-breaker, there were a few trivia questions such as 1) What significant day did we discover that we were expecting? (Sam's birthday) 2) Name three other celebrities also due this summer (Kim Kardashian, Kate Middleton, Fergie, Jessica Simpson...) 3) What fruit has Leslie been craving during her pregnancy? (oranges)

In addition, there was a fun sheet where people could write down their gender guesses. There was also a really cute wall hanging where guests could add their fingerprint and sign their names as leaves on the tree.
Gender guesses and favors

Fingerprint Tree Wall-Hanging
A week and a half earlier, Sam and I found out we are expecting a baby girl, but no one in my family knew that quite yet.  So we decided to have a reveal cake.  A reveal cake is a dessert that looks gender neutral on the outside, but has a layer of either pink or blue icing that shows once you cut the cake.  Everyone was very surprised and there were even a few tears from Grandma and Grandpa McDonald! Julie and Jill were sure it was a boy... SURPRISE!

It's a girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment