Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Summer's just around the corner...

Hello all!
The temps are climbing and the sun is shining.  School is gradually coming to an end.  It is time for SUMMER!  With summer drawing nearer, this weekend I was inspired to eat light, fresh foods.  My food choices are indicating that I am definitely ready for cookouts, cold beer, and lazy days!

I had some leftover shredded BBQ chicken in the fridge that I had previously made in the crockpot and had frozen.  Last week we enjoyed some hearty BBQ sandwiches, but I quickly tired of that heavy food and was avoiding the leftovers in my fridge like the plague.  Although it was tasty, I was burnt out on the typical BBQ chicken sandwich.  I also so did not want to be wasteful, so I was looked for some inspiration on www.pinterest.com to see how I could be creative. Ultimately, I ended up going back to my old post on Buffalo Chicken Wraps and recreated them with BBQ chicken instead!

I used ready-made shredded coleslaw mix in the bag from the store, cut up some red pepper and onions, and sprinkled some shredded cheddar cheese on top.  I even squeezed a little bit of light ranch dressing and then rolled them up in some yummy cilantro-jalapeno wraps. Here are the steps:




I wrapped up 8 of them and stuck them in the fridge for the week.  YUM!  Cut one in half for a light meal, and you are all set!

I was also inspired by this yummy and EASY summer salad- Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad.  


To save time and since it is not quite corn season yet, this time I opted to use canned corn.  However, I cannot wait to make this again this summer with fresh corn, cut directly from the cob! I did use fresh vine tomatoes and basil, though.  With only a few ingredients, this was a simple 10 minute recipe. 


  We ate a bunch with our BBQ chicken wraps for dinner the other night, and then I prepackaged the rest into several small containers.  


I have been enjoying them for lunch this week at work along with some fresh snap peas,  low fat mozzerella string cheese, and baked Cheetos. I occasionally add a granola bar into the mix!

We had some leftover bananas that needed a purpose- and quick! Since my husband loves banana bread, I thought I would break out my beloved Kitchen Aid Mixer and whip up some banana bread last night, but I wanted to give it a new twist.  Looking for something with ingredients that I keep on hand, I was inspired to make this Peanut Butter Banana Bread. It turned out well, but you should know it is definitely more peanut butter tasting than banana if that is what you are craving!


With the coming of a new season, we are happy to announce our newest arrival...we went with Team Titan!  We really preferred the Tundra, but decided that the Titan was a more reasonable choice for now.  



What are your favorite summer recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment